Experience a Romantic Getaway at a Top Kansas City Plaza Hotel
Southmoreland is a premier bed and breakfast hotel on the plaza. It offers discerning travelers a perfect location for experiencing all that Kansas City, Missouri has to offer including fine dining, unrivaled barbecue, world-class shopping, incredible fine arts, and local culture. No matter how long you stay, it’s the Kansas City Plaza’s best hotel for a romantic getaway, friends’ weekend, family reunion, and more.
Evenings & Upon Arrival
Your 5-star Kansas City plaza hotel experience begins from the moment you arrive:
- Enjoy complimentary happy hour offered early in the evening. Pour a glass of wine or beer and enjoy the company of other travelers while you plan your evening and potential activities for the next day.
- Or venture outside to a more private seating area and unwind amongst the vegetation of our urban garden while listening to the peaceful trickle of our water feature.
Dinner & Dessert
Our convenient location affords you countless options for dining. Stroll down to one of the many restaurants on the Kansas City plaza and enjoy fine dining, casual fare, or barbecue all within a short walk from the Inn. For those interested in venturing out further, the area offers a variety of dining options many of which are within a 10-15 minute drive or cab ride. For inspiration, check out our curated list of favorite local restaurants.
If dinner has satisfied your hunger but not your desire for more, you might consider a performance at one of Kansas City’s many local theatre venues or seek out a venue featuring local jazz artists.
Whatever your evening entails, be assured that Southmoreland on the Plaza will be a peaceful respite to which you may return:
- Enjoy the features your room boasts…a serene fire in one of our wood-burning fireplaces, relaxation in a two-person jetted tub, or the peace of the outdoors on your private deck.
- Play a game in one of our common areas, peruse a magazine, or read from one of the many selections of books available in your room or on the main floor.
Mornings & Gourmet Breakfast
Breakfast at Southmoreland on the Plaza is certainly not to be missed. Wake up to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and breakfast being prepared for your enjoyment:
- Monday thru Friday mornings, we offer a delicious continental breakfast with a rotation of delectable options for the busy corporate traveler.
- On weekends, breakfast at the Inn is a three-course affair starting with homemade breads, muffins, scones, granola ,or oatmeal, then followed by a fruit course and the entree of the day. Whether it be signature breakfast barbecue or a classic like eggs Florentine, stuffed French toast, pancakes, or waffles, we offer a gourmet breakfast attentively prepared for you fresh on Saturday and Sunday morning.
- We are pleased to accommodate special dietary needs or preferences should your situation require.
“I feel like Southmoreland is my secret treasure! It’s beautiful, the staff is so kind & lovely. The rooms are so cute. The food is amazing. Close to lots of fun stuff on the Plaza. My favorite place to stay!”
— Anna P.
Whether you are staying at the Inn for several days or just one night, there are many nearby attractions for all interests.
Lunch & Shopping—Stroll down to the Country Club Plaza, take in the Moorish architecture of one the nation’s original outdoor shopping districts, or see if you can find many of the fountains to which Kansas City lays claim.
Arts & Culture—Walk over to the acclaimed Nelson Atkins Museum or Kemper Museum of Modern Art, or consider one of the many historical museums in downtown Kansas City such as the National World War I Museum or the Steamboat Arabia Museum.
Outdoors—Enjoy walking the Kansas City Sculpture Park, the Kauffman Memorial Garden, or the Gorman Conservation Discovery Center.
Southmoreland on the Plaza is a convenient launching pad for each of these activities—or a place to simply unwind and reconnect in the luxurious comfort of your room and common areas of the Inn.
Enjoy a slew of refined hotel amenities in each of our 12 rooms and 2 Carriage House suites. Any guest room you select will include:
- Private bath with tub & shower (some with a jacuzzi and bath salts)
- King, Cal King or Queen-sized beds
- Luxury bed linens & pillows (both down alternative & fiberfill)
- Terry-lined bathrobes
- Turkish cotton bath linens
- Top-shelf William Roam toiletries
- Sleep-sound machine
- Flat-screen televisions
- Complimentary high-speed WiFi
- An assortment of magazines & books
Many guest rooms also feature a private outdoor deck or a fireplace stocked with wood available for use October 15–April 14.
“First time at a B&B & don’t think we could have a better one! The whole experience was awesome. The people, the room, the house, the food & even the grounds were awesome! Very close to the plaza. Will definitely go there again. You made us feel right at home.”
— Bruce L.